Friday, April 24, 2009

April 24 : Daniel 3

"Nebuchadnezzar said to them, "Is it true, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, that you do not serve my gods or worship the image of gold I have set up? Now when you hear the sound of the horn, flute, zither, lyre, harp, pipes and all kinds of music, if you are ready to fall down and worship the image I made, very good. But if you do not worship it, you will be thrown immediately into a blazing furnace. Then what god will be able to rescue you from my hand?"
I think its funny how King Nebuchadnezzar said, "what god will be able to rescue from my hand?" He thought of himself greater than any god I think. This King was known to be someone who worshiped many gods. He was a man who trusted in man gods, yet he probably had more faith in himself than any god. The big statue he made of gold that everyone needed to bow down to he probably didn't think it was a true god. He probably wanted people to worship it because he made it, indirectly worshiping him. However this is all speculation on my part. But how many people today have a mindset like this man? Most of may profess that we believe in Jesus' name for salvation. But many people have idols that they do not even know about. Some people believe entirely in themselves. Some people believe in others. Some people believe in materials they own or want to own. Have you ever questioned yourself, "do I have any idols?" Many of these idols are probably hidden behind our own intentions we may not even know. Let us look for these idols and throw them in the furnace.

1 comment:

Rachel D Kim said...

I guess I have to throw you into the furnace, Mark...

Hahahha jk- amen! :D